Login  |  Register

Coolidge for Breakfast Fly-In

Sunday 13th October 2013 at 09:17

Woodstock II Gyrocopter N2585M
Breakfast Fly-In visitor was this Woodstock II Gyrocopter

Once a month from October to May, Coolidge Aviation LLC sponsors a breakfast fly-in which is served by the Coolidge Lion’s Club, a non-profit charity that raises money for the local community.

Dozens of aviators from across the state of Arizona and beyond arrive to show off their airplanes. The Pilots all enjoy the breakfast, strutting around in their flight suits, talking shop with each other and taking questions from curious visitors. Everyone is welcome to wander onto the tarmac, peer into the different aircraft, discuss with the pilots whose father flew in which plane during the different wars and generally envy one another's toys. The event usually starts around 08.00 and ends at 12.00.

Coolidge Airfield History

Coolidge Airfield was originally constructed as an air transport command base. The Coolidge Army Airfield served as an auxiliary operating base for Williams Field during World War II. The original airfield was constructed with three runways in a triangular configuration. Of the three runways built, two remain: Runway 17-35 and Runway 5-23. Numerous support facilities were constructed including a 120-foot by 80-foot hangar in the 1940’s by the U.S. Department of the Army and this facility is still utilised today in-part for the breakfast fly-in.

On the 19th January 1950 the airfield was transferred to Pinal County as the airfield was no longer required by the U.S. Department of the Army. Pinal County owned and operated the airport until 1959 when the City of Coolidge obtained ownership of the airport. On the 2nd March 1959 the airport was officially transferred from Pinal County to the City of Coolidge.

Beechcraft T-34A Mentor N134FA
Beechcraft T-34A Mentor at the Coolidge for Breakfast Fly-In

From 1962 until July 1992, operations at the airport were dominated by training activities for the T-37 jet aircraft based at Williams Air Force Base. The Air Force had a lease agreement with the City of Coolidge for four parcels of land, joint use of the main runways, taxiways in return for the continued maintenance and upkeep of the main runway and taxiway. In addition, they constructed several facilities along the runway and apron to support their operations. The Air Force lease was terminated in July 1992 and training operations at the airport ceased in June 1992.

Photos from the Coolidge for Breakfast Fly-In

Report by Steve Flint


Related Images

Return to news summary